Monday, February 18, 2013

happy hair

My hair, on its own, is a little goofy.  Without the help of a stylist, it wants to be dark, mousy brown and crazy wavy.  I don't like the dark, mousy or crazy parts.

Changing hair stylists is hard for me.  I come to think of my hair person as a member of the family.  And over the years, I have stuck with a stylist until some life-changing event occurred, like the time a Rochester stylist decided he wasn't going to work with me to control the waves, he was just going to cut them off.  I looked like a shorn sheep after that visit, and that was the last time he ever worked on my hair. 

When we moved down "south" to the Finger Lakes, I needed to find someone new.  The hour-long commute back and forth to Rochester was tiresome, especially in bad weather.  By chance, I found Olivia.  We worked well together.  I told her about the quirks of my hair (there are many) and she listened.  Many years passed and we were a team.  Then she decided to move to Keuka Lake and open her own salon in Penn Yan.  For at least a year I made the hour-long commute through snowy hills and dales, but finally I threw in the towel.  While I still loved her, I didn't love the drive.

I decided to call Greyson, who had worked with Olivia in Canandaigua and filled in for her in Penn Yan when she was on maternity leave.  Greyson is a stylist on the move.  By that I mean that his is a movable salon - it's wherever he drives his little Mini Cooper.  Greyson will come to your house, whether it's in Canandaigua or Philadelphia.  He has clients in cities around the country, although now that he's recently married, he doesn't like to travel as much.  Here he is (the blond), with his husband, Josh.  They were married in January.


Greyson has mastered my mousy, brown locks with the crazy waves.  He's a superb colorist and a whiz with a round brush and a flat iron.  I've even purchased a flat iron for myself and can straighten my hair, to a point.  It's not perfect.  It's not Greyson hair.  But it is happy hair, and I've received lots of compliments on it. 

Thanks, Greyson.  And congratulations to you and Josh.



No comments:

Post a Comment