Wednesday, April 3, 2013

the best was last

For me, reading a slew of books while listening to the waves lap the shore is the very essence of a good vacation on Sanibel.  And while it's been fun to visit with friends, eat out at good restaurants, do a little shopping and attempt to work some real estate magic for next winter, I have absolutely loved my visits to the Sanibel Library and its extensive New Books section.

I visited the library yesterday morning, my last time to pick up some new books before heading home on Saturday.  My friend Wendy, the circulation manager who grew up in Brighton and is the daughter of good friends of my aunt and uncle, always makes excellent book suggestions and yesterday was no different.

She asked...had I read The Light Between Oceans by M. L. Stedman?  No...and I hadn't even heard of it.


I started reading it yesterday afternoon and just finished it.  I loved every minute of it.  Written by a London attorney who grew up in Western Australia, it's the story of a couple who live alone on an island 100 miles off the coast of Australia, where he is the lightkeeper.  One day a boat washes up on shore....

The resulting story draws you in, is beautifully written, and is filled with moral dilemmas.  Kudos to Ms. Stedman for a magnificent first novel.


(a somewhat fuzzy image of the author)

The Light Between Oceans was the 20th book I've read since arriving on Sanibel almost 6 weeks ago.  And certainly the best was last.


No comments:

Post a Comment